Scarblog Navigation

About Me

My photo
Joseph Scarbrough launched what he called "The Scarblog" as a way of cataloging his work over the years, as well as going into greater detail of things on his mind (known as "Unfinished Thoughts").

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Birthday Tribute to Jordan Sibayan

Jordan and I with our creations
Today is a rather special day: September 24 happens to be the birthday of Muppet creator Jim Henson, and it also happens to be the birthday of now-former Muppet Performer Steve Whitmire . . . but today also happens to be the birthday of one of the most important people in my life.

Jordan Sibayan is a rarity in that he's been one of my closest and dearest friends for many, many years - he's the kind of friend that you see people in works of fiction have and you wish you had a friend like that. This is why I'm lucky, because Jordan actually is that kind of friend: loyal and true blue. We've gotten to know each other through our shared interests in puppetry, cartooning, writing, general goofing off, and the passion we both have in our own creative pursuits; the two of us are often one of the first ones we'll go to whenever we've finished a new project for input from the other. We often collaborate with each other, and his contributions to my work have ranged from knocking around various different story ideas (my personal favorite is one we scripted involving Steve D'Monster, Bethany Crystal, The Squirrely Squirrels, and an army of spiders), to even providing me a little funding for a more involved and elaborate project (and I probably should get around to repaying him somehow).

Suffice to say, he's one of my most loyal supporters, but not just where our creativity is concerned. I think I can safely say that Jordan is also, perhaps, one of the very few people in the world who may actually know me even better than I know myself: he always has a keen sense in knowing when I might like to look into something new - a YouTube video, some kind of artwork, an amusing article about something random - and will probably like it . . . and more often than not, he's absolutely right. It's as if he's always tuned into my frequency. You know how some people out there say that nobody "gets" them? Jordan definitely "gets" me. And even more than that, I may not say this enough, but he really has saved my life. More than once. In times of the past, where I have found myself at rock bottom, feeling that life is too much handle, running against the wind, he's always been one person I knew I could confide in, and that he could help me get through difficult times, because he's always had my back. That has meant more to me than any of the sillier things we get ourselves into (such as spider armies). And even now, just as he's always been there to support me, I also try my best to support him as well, whether it's living with muscular dystrophy, or having to fight to protect the rights of himself and others like him that the Drumpf Dictatorship has been trying to take away from them. That's something else I can say about Jordan as well: he's a fighter who never gives up, no matter what the obstacles are, and as such, I'm always in his corner - even as of this post, as he travels to D.C. to, once again, fight to protect the very rights that the big bag gov'ment is continually trying to take away from disabled people across America.

It's easy to take things for granted, which is why I wanted to pay a special tribute to my longtime, loyal, true blue friend who has made a bigger difference in my life than he may even know and I probably haven't even taken the time to acknowledge.

Happy birthday, Jordan! Thank you for being here!

Postscript

No comments:

Post a Comment