Scarblog Navigation

About Me

My photo
Joseph Scarbrough launched what he called "The Scarblog" as a way of cataloging his work over the years, as well as going into greater detail of things on his mind (known as "Unfinished Thoughts").

Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Unfinished Thoughts on Nostalgia Critic

This is first of a new series of posts, maybe, I don't know... but I've noticed that, even though I try not to, every once in a while, I end up using Scarblog to post my own personal thoughts and opinions on various different subjects, and I got to thinking about another one that I really want to write up about, so I might as well quit kidding myself, and just admit that yes, I do, occasionally, post personal entries on this blog. I've decided to entitle these posts my "Unfinished Thoughts" (based on the "Donal Logue's Unfinished Thoughts" segments from VH1's old I LOVE THE 80S: STRIKES BACK minseries).

Anyway, I really want to express my thoughts on an internet phenomenon: Nostalgia Critic. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Nostalgia Critic as much as anybody out there, I really do; Doug Walker is one of the few internet celebrities out there with any actual talent - his reviews are hilarious, I always get a kick out of his sarcastic and extremely cynical sense of humor, and the little fits he throws in his reviews crack me up. However, one thing you have to keep in mind in his reviews... you really have to take them with a grain of salt, because more often than not, he gets some of the information about movies he reviews incorrect anyway, which kind of adds to the humor of his reviews. The thing of it is, I've noticed that a lot of people out there actually DO take his reviews seriously... so much in fact that it seems some people actually base their opinions on certain movies all on his reviews, without even seeing them for themselves.

As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks ago, I was watching the new ARTHUR episode, "On the Buster Scale", where both Buster and Brain start writing reviews about movies they see, in order to try to pursuade their friends with their opinions: Buster having his reviews published in the paper, while Brain blogs his reviews on the internet... interestingly, towards the beginning of the episode, Buster gawks about the movie they had just seen (which was mostly about giant exploding robots), and the others completely agreed with him... then, when Brain starts criticizing the movie, pointing out all the flaws and holes, all of the sudden, the others completely change their minds and decide they hate the movie too.

This is exactly what I had been thinking about Nostalgia Critic: like I said, I love his reviews as much as the next guy, but again, his reviews are mostly for humor, and shouldn't necessarily be taken seriously, yet, so many people take what he says to heart, and again, they do so without even seeing the movies for themselves, and thinking for themselves to develop their own opinions on them. You have to keep in mind: this is his schtick. He hates almost everything he reviews, but that's his gimmick, that's his character, it's all supposed to be in fun, but when there's some people out there who actually base their opinions on thing all on what he says about them, that kind of ruins the fun... I mean, you can take a look at the TV Tropes page for the movie GORDY, for example, almost everything written on that page practically just paraphrases the Critic's review of the movie.

I guess what I'm saying is I really think that people out there need to actually think for themselves, watch some of these movies, form their own opinions on them, as opposed to just watching a Nostalgia Critic review of them and say, "Yeah, that movie sucks!" without even seeing it.

Just for the record, here's a list of movies that Nostalgia Critic has reviewed that I, personally, don't think are anywhere near as bad as he says they are:
SUPER MARIO BROS.
SPACE JAM
TOM AND JERRY: THE MOVIE
GOOD BURGER
TWISTER
ROCK-A-DOODLE
HOME ALONE 3
ROVER DANGERFIELD
GORDY
ONCE UPON A FOREST
JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH
DOUG'S 1ST MOVIE
THE CHIPMUNK ADVENTURE

Just to name a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment